Are you looking for a career in which you can REALLY make a difference? Would you like to feel that the world is a better place as a result of your work?? If so, please consider joining us in our mission to change lives by Saving Sight!!
As a Recovery Technician with Saving Sight, you will surgically procure donor eye tissue for one of the largest eye banks in the country. Our mission-driven organization helped save the sight of 2,957 people last year, and as a Recovery Technician, you can help us increase our impact this year. To be successful in this role at Saving Sight, you will need a fantastic attitude, a willingness to learn, and a high school diploma or equivalent. The ideal candidate will have a medical or surgical background. If you join our team with these qualities, we can teach you the technical and clinical aspects of the job.
Salary: $16.00/hour, on-call and per case recovery pay (as applicable)
Reports to: Director of Recovery Services
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt (Hourly)
Job Status: Part-time
Location: St Ann, MO
This mission centered full-time position is responsible for surgical procurement of eye tissue, documentation of procedure information, evaluating, processing, and shipment of tissue.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The position’s duties may include any or all of the following:
- Recover eye tissue from tissue donors for transplant and research purposes, including drawing blood samples for serological testing
- Perform donor medical history reviews and physical assessments including ocular tissues
- Transport eye tissue to/from Saving Sight Eye Banks laboratories
- Prepare eye tissue and biological specimens for transport
- Perform facility cleaning and equipment maintenance as required
- Run miscellaneous errands, i.e. airport delivery or pick-up
- Prepare ocular tissue for processing in the eye bank laboratory as needed
- Accurately document donor and tissue information on reports and in eye bank database system.
- Inventory and Stock Laboratory/tissue handling area
- High school diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been acquired is required.
QUALIFICATIONS and EXPERIENCE:
- Medical or funeral home background preferred.
- Effective interpersonal and organizational skills
- Basic computer and phone/fax skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Requires a great amount of flexibility due to the nature of the Eye Bank’s 24-hour business. This may include day, night, weekend, and/or holiday hours in an on-call status occasionally going beyond shift times in order to complete tasks
- Requires occasional out of town stays for training
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record as determined Saving Sight.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Ability to travel throughout
serviceregion as required.
- Driving for extended periods or long distances required.
- Frequent periods of intense concentration, attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to handle mental and physical strain involved in
useof printed materials and prolonged use of computer screens.
- Ability to perform delicate manual procedures requiring high amounts of dexterity
- Long periods of sitting and/or standing may be required.
- Ability to lift and move more than 50 pounds.
- Normal office environment combined with normal outdoor exposures
NOTE: The preceding statements describe the nature and level of assignments normally given job incumbents. They are not an exhaustive list of duties. Additional duties may be assigned.
Saving Sight is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We take pride in the diversity of our
All applicants must live within a 30-minute drive to the branch location. No phone inquiries or drop-ins, please.
Saving Sight - St. Louis
500 Northwest Plaza, Suite 416
St. Ann, MO 64073