Are you a…
Mortuary Science Student?
Forensics / Anthropology Student?
Student or professional with related medical or education background?
Would you like to hold a truly unique position, working in the tissue donation process?
Are you looking for a career in which you can REALLY make a difference? Would you like to feel that the world is a better place as a result of your work?? If so, please consider joining us in our mission to change lives by Saving Sight!!
As a Recovery Technician with Saving Sight, you will surgically procure donor eye tissue for one of the largest eye banks in the country. Our mission-driven organization helped save the sight of 2,957 people last year, and as a Recovery Technician, you can help us increase our impact this year. To be successful in this role at Saving Sight, you will need a fantastic attitude, a willingness to learn, and a high school diploma or equivalent. The ideal candidate will have a medical or surgical background. If you join our team with these qualities, we can teach you the technical and clinical aspects of the job.
Reports to: Director of Recovery
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt (Hourly)
Job Status: Part-time
Location: Kansas City, MO
Required to work a minimum of 36 on-call hours/week
Compensation: ($17.00/hour and case fee)
This mission-centered position is responsible for the procurement, handling, and shipment of ocular tissue.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Recover eye tissue from consented donors for transplant and research purposes, including drawing blood samples for serological testing
• Perform donor medical history reviews and physical assessment
• Gather pertinent data and accurately relay information to appropriate internal/external partners
• Transport supplies, eye tissue and blood samples to/from Saving Sight facilities.
• Prepare eye tissue and biological specimens for transport
• Perform facility cleaning and equipment maintenance as required
• Prepare ocular tissue for processing in the eye bank laboratory as needed
• Accurately document donor and tissue information on reports and in eye bank database system
• Maintain Inventory and stock recovery supplies
• May also encompass duties of a Laboratory Technician
• High school diploma and an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been acquired.
Some college preferred.
• Continual training and education as necessary
QUALIFICATIONS and EXPERIENCE:
• Medical or biological science background preferred
• Be familiar with the general aspects of eye banking from the referral through distribution, including current trends and techniques of corneal transplantation
• Knowledge of medical terminology
• Excellent interpersonal, written, verbal, and phone communication skills required.
• Excellent problem-solving abilities and attention to detail.
• Ability to work independently, with limited direction, and in a team environment.
• Ability to work with distraction and to multi-task with frequent interruptions.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft operating systems, Microsoft Office, general database, and web-based applications.
• Must be able to handle information in a confidential, objective, professional manner.
• Must maintain a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record as determined by the organization.
• Must have reliable transportation.
• May require use of personal vehicle during exigent circumstances.
• Ability to travel throughout service region as required.
• Requires occasional out of town stays.
• Driving for extended periods or long distances may be required.
• Requires a great amount of flexibility due to the nature of the Eye Bank’s 24-hour business. This may include day, night, weekend, and/or holiday hours in an on- call status occasionally going beyond shift times in order to complete tasks.
• Frequent periods of intense concentration, attention to detail and accuracy.
• Ability to handle mental and physical strain involved in use of printed materials and prolonged use of computer screens.
• Ability to perform delicate manual procedures requiring high amounts of dexterity.
• Long periods of sitting and/or standing may be required.
• Ability to climb stairs.
• Required to have a yearly flu vaccine
• Required to have a yearly TB test
• Ability to lift and move more than 50 pounds.
• Ability and knowledge to work in various work environments, for example; normal office environment, normal outdoor exposures, hospital settings (floor, operating room, morgue), funeral home, and medical examiner settings
NOTE: The preceding statements describe the nature and level of assignments normally given job incumbents. They are not an exhaustive list of duties. Additional duties may be assigned.
All applicants must live within a 30-minute drive to the branch location.
No phone inquiries or drop-ins, please.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $16.00 per hour
Saving Sight is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We take pride in the diversity of our staff, and seek diversity in our applicants. Saving Sight does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law.
Saving Sight reserves the right to seek, hire and promote persons who support the goals and mission of the institution.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $16.00 per hour